Thursday, May 21, 2026
HomePoliticsCouncilFlood map fight heads back to council

Flood map fight heads back to council

Logan City Council’s controversial flood mapping will return to the council chambers this month, with councillors preparing to consider an independent flood study review after thousands of Logan Plan submissions and months of community concern.

The council has confirmed two Special Council Meetings, with the first on Wednesday, May 27 to consider the independent review of the Logan and Albert Rivers Flood Study.

A second meeting, on Thursday, June 4, will deal with flood mapping and policy.

The issue affects thousands of residents, with the council saying it wrote to about 20,000 property owners with an update on what has happened since they were contacted about flood mapping changes in August 2025.

Logan Mayor Jon Raven said resident feedback had directly shaped the council’s current focus, including the independent review, investigation of key issues raised by the community and possible improvements to how flood information was presented.

“We appreciate the time people have taken to share their views with us,” Cr Raven said.

“The independent review will further inform council as it continues reviewing matters raised by the community.

“I’ve been working closely with the Deputy Premier and Queensland Government to get a better outcome for the people of Logan.”

The flood mapping dispute is tied to the draft Logan Plan, the city’s proposed new planning scheme covering future land use, housing, business areas, natural hazards and environmental protections.

Public consultation on the draft plan closed in October last year.

The council’s latest submissions progress report says 4010 submissions were received, with more than 2300 unique issues identified so far.

The council has also acknowledged that flood-risk policy work is likely to delay the implementation of the Logan Plan.

The matters now under investigation include high-flow areas, small-scale house extensions, isolation and evacuation, shelter-in-place allowances, dry creeks and minor gullies, and changes to the Logan Flood Portal and Property Flood Report.

In February, Cr Raven said keeping residents informed was the council’s highest priority.

“There is a huge amount of work to be done, which will take some time, but we will make sure the community is kept up to date at every step,” he said.

The debate has raised practical questions about development rights, insurance premiums, property values and whether residents clearly understand what the new risk-based mapping means for their land.

The council has said flood mapping is needed to help protect people and property, guide emergency response and make better decisions about future housing and infrastructure.

In March, Cr Raven said the council was reviewing how information is presented in the Logan Flood Portal after community feedback.

“The Flood Portal is an important tool for people to learn how floods may impact their property, local roads or property they’re looking to buy,” he said.

“The most relevant information needs to be the quickest to find, but we won’t make any changes until our community has told us which option they prefer.”

The council has also said residents concerned about insurance should speak with their insurer first, but has invited those who believe flood mapping has unfairly affected their premiums to send old and new premium details to the mayor’s office.

Both Special Council Meetings will be public and livestreamed.

MyCity Logan will continue investigating the flood mapping issue and keep the community updated as the council considers the independent review, community feedback and possible policy changes.

Subscribe to stay up-to-date with news from across Logan. You’ll receive a link to our digital newspaper direct to your inbox each week. It’s free.

Follow MyCity Logan on Facebook and Instagram

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here