The preliminary design for the proposed Logan “Olympic” stadium, selected by council last week, is set to save the city at least $2 million a year.

Although Logan City council refused to reveal the chosen design, a council report stated it includes “enhancements” to allow the 9-court, 7000-seat indoor stadium to be used for multiple purposes after the 2032 Olympics.

Council studies suggested if the venue was not “equipped with these enhancements” and operated primarily as a sporting facility there would be an estimated operating deficiency of more than $2 million per year.

It is instead hoped the facility will also be used to host conferences, exhibitions and corporate events.

“There is significant future financial risk to Council from operating a stand-alone community sport venue,” the report said.

“The enhancements provide an operating model that has the capacity to generate higher revenues for use, reducing the cost of delivering community sport and generating economic benefit for the city.”

Council’s preferred enhancements include:

  • more seating and retractable seating.
  • air-conditioning
  • acoustic treatment to support functions, events and concerts.
  • wiring and service provisions for future additional scoreboards, lighting, technology etc.
  • a large-scale commercial kitchen, storage, wet and dry preparation areas for catering events with capacity for banquet events for up to 1000 people.
  • increase in administration and operational amenity for a conference and event centre.

The report recommended council pay 20 per cent of the project’s overall cost if the enhancements were included, with the remaining 80 per cent paid by the Queensland and Australian governments.

The cost and the design will be added to the venue’s business case, which will be presented to the state and federal governments later this year.

The business case will also put forward council’s preferred location for the venue – currently slated to replace the former Logan Central PCYC, adjacent to council chambers.

“It’s no secret that our city has Olympic-sized dreams for its future, but those dreams extend well beyond the 2032 Games,” mayor Jon Raven said.

“Getting the design of this major new venue right will give our athletes, community groups and businesses more chances to succeed – and give everyone else another reason to visit the City of Logan.”

Cr Raven said council was determined to secure a venue with the potential to “catapult the city into the future”.

“We’ve been working collaboratively with the state and federal governments to get the best outcome for the city,” Cr Raven said.

“Today, we are showing the other levels of government that we’re serious about co-investing to build something that will have a long-term legacy.

“As the fastest-growing city in Queensland and with a young and diverse population of up-and-coming athletes, it’s vital our future venues cater to the expanding aspirations of our community.”

Council said in a statement it was “committed to providing principal funding for the required multi-purpose venue enhancements, as part of its 2025/26 Budget process”.

Image: An artist’s impression of what the Logan venue could look like.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.