Thursday, May 21, 2026
HomeFeatureLogan's most dangerous roads score upgrades

Logan’s most dangerous roads score upgrades

Three more of Logan’s most dangerous roads will undergo major million-dollar upgrades after collectively recording more than 60 crashes in a five-year period.

Almost $6 million will be spent improving Eagleby, Mundoolun and Buccan roads, which have been targeted by the federal “black spots” fund for car-crash hotspots.

The Logan roads will receive more funding from the $17.4 million pot than any other city in the state.

The most extensive upgrade will be to Hein Road in Buccan, with two separate projects totalling $3.64 million.

Between 2017 and 2022, 22 crashes were recorded on the two stretches of road being upgraded.

The section of Hein Road from The Aspect to 260m north of Grassdale Street will undergo a $1.9 million transformation to include a channelised right-turn lane and a one-metre-wide centreline around two of the road’s bends.

It will also include road pavement resealing and shoulder widening, and the installation of directional hazard and curve warning signs, guideposts, chevron alignment markers and raised reflective pavement markers.

$1.74m will be spent on the curved section of Hein Road from Stegemann Road to The Aspect, and include guardrails on both kerbsides, pavement resealing, shoulder widening, and the road warning signs and markers.

In Mundoolun, the section of Mundoolun Road 900m north of Beaudesert Beenleigh Road will receive a $1.48 million upgrade.

This road was home to nine crashes over a five-year period to 2022.

The upgrades will include a road realignment and shoulder widening, as well as new, motorcycle-friendly guardrails and road markers.

Deputy mayor and Mundoolun councillor Scott Bannan said the road’s speed limit was also reducing to 80km/h.

“A lot of people don’t like dropping speed limits, but at the end of the day if people are having accidents there, that’s the first thing you’ve got to look at,” he said.

“Being a first responder, if people are crashing on the same spot you have to do something about it.”

At Eagleby, $800,000 will be spent on the George Street and Distillery Road intersection, where 23 crashes were recorded between 2017 and 2022.

The upgrade will include extending the length of the right-turn lane from 100 to 150 metres.

Part of the funding will be spent on a review to determine whether filtered right-turn movements should be removed at the intersection.

The funding for the roads was outlined in last month’s federal budget, handed down by federal treasurer and local Rankin MP Jim Chalmers.

“This funding will save lives here in our community and right across Queensland,” Mr Chalmers said.

“Our Budget and our economic plan is all about taking care of Queenslanders with cost-of-living relief for every household and big investments in local infrastructure.

“From Logan to the Lockyer Valley, Mackay to Moreton, Toowoomba, Townsville, Cairns, the Sunshine Coast, the Cassowary Coast and the Fraser Coast – we’re fixing up roads right across the state to make motorists safer.”

 

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here